Improving Upon Wiki
It sounded fairly easy and I basically have the framework in place. My problem is when I came to the wiki parser. First I have to admit that I haven't used wiki's extensively. When I have, I always thought the wiki mark-up language was a little complex and cumbersome. And this has been reinforced since I began looking into parsing the language.
I've now come to a cross-roads:
- Do I duplicate the wiki-markup language exactly?
- Do I create an entirely new system taking the bits and parts from wiki and other formating systems?
I've been leaning towards #2. And since I was going to do that, I started thinking what are some of the other improvements that could be made to a Wiki style site. At this point, I really need to put a call out to the community to give me some feedback. I would like to hear what you guys think.
Here's my thoughts:
- Improved the mark-up langage.
- User management, with different levels of permissions for various task.
- Straight ColdFusion templates to be used for top level pages (users should never have to edit these anyways)
- True template pages that can be used for different styled pages.
I would like to here from you guys to know what your thoughts are. So if you have anything to add, let me know below. Also, I plan on making this open source once I have a working version of it.